1974 Motorsailer Motorsailer
Get More Info
65' Motorsailer 1974
Motorsailer Motorsailer 1974 For Sale in Beaufort, North Carolina
Beaufort, North Carolina
- Length Overall: 65'
- Beam: 15'
- Maximum Draft: 6' 5"
- Dry Weight: 90,000 lbs
- Fuel: 1100 gal
- Water: 720 gal
- Holding: 100 gal
- Engine 1 : 1974 Gardner 8LXB - 190hp
AN ABSOLUTE INCREDIBLE YACHT AT AN ABSOLUTE INCREDIBLE
PRICE - AS IS, BUT AS IS, IS VERY IMPRESSIVE!
1974 Custom Custom Twin Keel Offshore Pilothouse Cruising Ketch, Designed by Alan Wright, SHIBUMI is a 65 foot custom built twin keel composite constructed, ketch rigged cruising motorsailor with enclosed pilothouse specifically designed for comfortable, long term, bluewater cruising in remote areas. She is an all weather go-anywhere vessel that can be handled by two people. Built in Auckland NZ. Engine is a Gardner 8LXB Diesel including complete rebuild of fuel injection system and her Hundested variable pitch propeller system in 2011. SHIBUMIs layout includes a master cabin and second guest cabin aft, a forward guest cabin, saloon, galley and navigation station forward with a large pilothouse above the engine room. Walk-in engine room and shop provide easy maintenance of all systems. Construction Highlights: Triple fiberglass and double end grain balsa core hull to 9 below waterline-Twin Keel, twin rudder, with 4.5 tons of lead-integral diesel Tankage of 1100 gallon diesel. Water Tankage 720 gallons. Other Tankage-holding tank, lubricating oil and hydraulic oil. Forward and aft watertight collision bulkheads Watertight bulkhead fore and aft of engine compartment with sealing hatches. Stainless companionway security grates-Aluminum plate sliding companionway closures. Enormous below decks and topside storage Safety Features:Pilot House with full waterproof protection- Triple fiberglass and double end grain balsa core hull-Fwd and Aft watertight collision bulkheads-Bulkheaded engine compartment-Gardner 8LXB Engine-Main Engine driven high output emergency water evacuation pump system, plumbed and valved to each major compartment-4 automatic electric bilge pumps -Bilge high water level alarms-Doubleiple hull construction- SHIBUMI is a find of a life time! As is....is good condition at a poor condition price!
Sails and Rigging
- Aluminum Main and Mizzen mast and booms.
- Main mast steps to the first spreader.
- Stainless wire rigging.
- Pro Furl Jib furler.
- Fully Battened DOYLE main and mizzen
- DOYLE with 40,000 mile warranty, new in 2006 Genoa: 380 Hydranet, 772 Sq Ft Main: 380 Hyranet, 543 Sq Ft Mizzen: 380 Hyranet, 262 Sq Ft
- Other Manufacturers
- Yankee: 80% Spectra
- Asymmetrical Spinnaker: ¾ Oz Dacron, 1,000 Sq Ft in sock
- Mizzen Staysail: ¾ Oz Dacron
- Main Storm Staysail: Dacron
- Jib Staysail/Storm Jib: Dacron
- Main Backup: Spectra
- (2) Barient 35 STC Primary self-tailing winches
- (1) Barlow 26 for main sheet
- (1) Barlow 18 to reef main boom
- (1) Barient 21 STC self-tailing to reef main boom
- (1) Barlow 6 for main wire halyard
- (1) Barlow 18 for topping lift
- (1) Barient 22 STC self-tailing for mizzen halyard
- (1) Barlow 26 for mizzen sheet
- (1) Barlow 18 for mizzen staysail halyard on mizzen mast
- (1) Barlow 26 for Genoa halyard
- (1) Barient 25 STC self-tailing for port staysail sheet on roller furling
- (1) Anderson 46 Electric winch for jib roller furling and starboard staysail sheet
- (1) Anderson 46 manual foredeck general purpose halyard winch
Engine and Drive Train Details
The Gardner 8LXB engine (s/n 180147) is a very reliable, low RPM, long-lived engine. The manufacturer recommended oil changes every 600 hours and overhauls every 20,000 hours. The present engine hours are 5,800. The maximum RPM is 1,300, but cruising RPM is 800. At 5,000 hours in 1987, the heads were removed to clean carbon and grind valves. At the same time, the heat exchanger, oil coolers, and bronze and carbon steel salt water pump were rebuilt per the manufacturer's specifications. In 2003, the heads and exchangers and raw water pump were rebuilt again. In 2011, the fuel injection pumps, governing systems and injectors were rebuilt. There is a spare Gardner starter and eight spare injectors, complete instructions, and special engine tools. Other features include Morse controls for both steering stations. It has a built in oil and fluid change pump system.
- Walk-in engine room and shop with workbench and vise.
- Gardner 8LXB diesel engine: 13.93 Liter 8 Cylinder BHP 158
- 7.7 KW Westerbeke Genset 120/240V AC
- 8 KW generator 120 V AC driven by main engine
- Twin Disc main engine hydraulic reversible transmission
- Hundested FROA Mark II variable pitch propeller system, rebuilt 2011
Fuel, Prop and Tankage
The fuel system draws fuel from 2 forward hull tanks and 2 keel tanks through a manifold to a 20 gallon day tank by either an automatic 24 VDC pump or a back up hand pump. The fuel is filtered three times before it is supplied to the engine. Fuel can be transferred among any of the four tanks or recycled to polish the fuel in any one tank.
Electronics and Nav
Radios ICOM 710 RT SSB/Ham radio Standard Horizon Fog Signal and Hailer Standard Horizon Matrix 2150 AIS & DSC VHF ICOM M502 DSC VHF with remote to aft deck steering station.
- Freedom 25, 24 volt charger/Inverter
- Newmar 24V DC to 12VDC converter for SSB radio and other electronics
- Wind Generators
- Air-X Marine 24VDC wind generator
- KISS High Output 24VDC wind generator
Primary DC Electrical System
- Cabin lights & fans
- Spreader and flood lights
- Engine and galley exhaust fans
- Fresh water pressure system pump
- Salt water pump at galley sink
- Deck wash-down pump
- Fuel transfer pump
- Holding tank pump
- Rule Bilge Pumps and bilge alarm system
- Two Furuno GP-37 DGPS/WAAS Units
- Furuno fluxgate compass linked to Radar
- Furuno 1932 Mark-2 open array 48nm Radar with ARPA
- Furuno "Fax-30" paperless weatherfax
- Wood Freeman 500B Autopilot - Aft windlass
- Navigation lights - Compass lights
- Navigation Instrumentation
- Syrens WIFI
- Furuno NX-300 Navtex
- ICOM 710 RT SSB/HAM Radio
- ICOM M-502 VHF - B&G VHF
- Northstar 800 Loran (operative but no longer useful in the US)
- Special Lights: Pilot House and Galley night vision lights
Propane or Butane
- Seaward 3 burner galley stove with 2 rack oven
- Force 10 outside grill
- Maxwell Marine H3000 Forward chain and rode windlass
- Grunert 120V AC air/water cooled cruising refrigeration
- Marine Air 120V AC Split air conditioning, one forward and one aft
- Watermaker: 2 Membrane, 50 gal/hr CAT Pump AC
- Washer/Dryer: Splendide 2000 clothes Washer Dryer
Main engine, emergency and fresh water piping is hard drawn copper tubing connected by brass fittings or brazed bolted flanges.
- Pilot House
- Triple fiberglass and double end grain balsa core hull
- Fwd and Aft watertight collision bulkheads
- Bulkheaded engine compartment
- Gardner 8LXB Engine
- Main Engine driven high output emergency water evacuation pump system, plumbed and valved to each major compartment
- 4 automatic electric bilge pumps
- Bilge high water level alarms
- Stainless steel companionway security grates
- ¼" plate aluminum integral companionway closures
- Double/triple hull construction
- Anchor watch GPS above captain's berth
- Security switches above captain's berth
- Safety Equipment o MOM8 o Lifesling o Alden Marine 406/121 EPIRB Satellite Distress Beacon o 8 man Winslow Life Raft
The triple fiberglass and double end grain balsa core hull is 2.5-3.0 inch thick to a depth of 9 inch below the waterline, then transitioning to solid glass approximately 1 1/8 inch thick. Decks are ¾ inch plywood double treated then 5/32 inch fiberglass layup and covered with ¾ inch teak planking. The original teak decks were replaced in 2002.
- Triple fiberglass and double end grain balsa core hull to 9 degrees below waterline.
- Twin Keel, twin rudder, with 4.5 tons of lead and integral secondary diesel Tankage of 170 gallons per keel.
- 1100 gallon diesel Tankage; 720 gallon water Tankage.
- Holding tank, lubricating oil and hydraulic oil integrated tankage.
- Forward and aft watertight collision bulkheads.
- Watertight bulkhead fore and aft of engine compartment with sealing hatches.
- Stainless steel companionway security grates
- ¼ Aluminum plate sliding companionway closures.
- Enormous belowdecks and topside storage
- Deck Storage
- Forward and Aft. Huge jump in lazarette.
- Vented Deck storage for 3 or more 20 pound propane/Butane tanks.
- Aft Deck boxes for lines, fishing gear, life raft, toys.
- Ground Tackle
- Maxwell Marine H3000 Hydraulic Forward Anchor Windlass.
- Aft Anchor Windlass, 24V.
- Delta Anchor 110 pound
- Bruce Anchor 33 Kg
- Danforth Type Day anchor 50 pound
- 5/8 galvanized ACCO High test main anchor chain, new in 2012.
- Forward and aft anchor rode/chain
This beautiful yacht has sailed offshore many times, cruiser twice across the Atlantic, around the Mediterranean, Caribbean and South America. SHIBUMI sails well both in light to heavy conditions. Sheets and jib furling lines lead to pilot house. You'll love this boat and will enjoy the all of the wonderful times and memories that comes with ownership of this timeless classic Motorsailer Ketch.