Dominion Marine Media – the company responsible for operating YachtWorld, Boat Trader and boats.com – has seen, through recent extensive market research, a substantial increase in new boat sales and new boat inquiries versus pre-owned. While several publications have speculated to a recovering marine market and have shown numbers in sales that exceed the low-point of 2010, Dominion Marine Media has now further elaborated these findings with data showing increases in new boat purchases across different boat styles and sizes.
In evaluating three years of data that included 2.3 million customer leads generated through Dominion’s sites, they discovered that roughly 28% of the leads were new boat purchases with the remaining 72% being pre-owned purchases. This represents an enormous increase from the 2013 new boat purchase average of only 18%. Ian Atkins, President of Dominion Marine Media stated:
“Though portals such as Boat Trader and YachtWorld have been known as predominantly pre-owned boat marketplaces, it is encouraging to see that consumers are using them more frequently to find new boats.”
Courtney Chalmers, vice president of marketing for DMM, remarked:
“The data shows that consumers may start their search for used boats but ultimately purchase new, underlining the importance for dealers and OEMs of capturing this audience quickly and effectively.”
Bluewater Yacht Sales has felt this trend of increased new boat sales and seen first-hand the recovery of the marine industry, leading us to stock a greater variety of new boats from all of our premium brand offerings. Find your next new boat now!